Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Hi guys, I'm back!

During the 8 days trip, we went Shanghai, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Wuxi and Nanjing.The places we went are just too many to be mentioned so I'll just mention some of the highlights of the trips(:

Shanghai's Magleo train ride
It's is the world's fastest traveling train which goes up to 430km/hour. This is like compatible to the speed of a plane I guess. As I was on the train, I could hardly see anything outside, everything just zoom pass you.

Meijiawu tea plantation at Hangzhou
At the village, we get to know the tea culture of china. Meijiawu is a vast tea plantation district producing Longjing tea leaves which is famous by its green colour, sweet smelling and of course its taste as told by the introducer. We were served with the top grade longjing tea and after which she told us the benefits of drinking tea which included treatment for highblood pressure, diabetes etc.Two of the other benefits which attracted me greatly. 1) can be used as facial mask and 2) weight lost. In the end mom bought 4 jin ( 4 x 500g) of longjing leaves which cost 2700 rmb ( s$540). However it's still considered cheap as compared to when you buy in Singapore. S$540 can maybe only get you 1 jin instead of 4 so while maybe it's still worth it afterall.

wuzhen water town
wuzhen gives me a feeling of little Venice and I can say it is the most beautiful place that we went throughout the 8 days. For hundreds of years, its residents have been building houses along the rivers and trading near the bridges. The ancient docks, waterside pavilions, and corridors stretch out for miles and erect a romantic atmosphere that is typical to Jiang Nan water towns. One word to describe: beautiful/ 美!

Mochou lake
According to legend the lake was named after a woman called Mochou. She died of loyal love to her husband. In admiration of this brave woman, millions of people from both home and abroad have come to visit this place. Mochou Lake is a classical garden built in the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644). Booths, pavilions and temples are dotted around the garden. There was a well at the centre of the garden where it says that as one make a wish by the well, mochou will make her as beautiful as herself! So well mom and I threw coins into the well and make a wish and as for me, pimple- free face! HAHA.

Shanghai's acrobatic show
We watched the show on the 6th day and during the show I was like grabbing my mom's hand throughout. The show was so exciting that my eyes almost poped out.Most of the performers were at most 10 over years old yet they are doing stunts that children should not be risking to do. It was considered child abuse like what the Americans says. Anyway mom says that most of the children performing are sold to the acrobatic team because their family were too poor to support them thus they were sent for these stunts training as young as maybe 3 or 4 years old. I can only say that we're too fortunate.We always say we budget or poor, but it's only when you really go and experience what these china children are experiencing that you know what is really meant to be poor. Be contented, children of Singapore!

Qipu road wholesale market
The moment you entered into the mall, tens of people will surround you to drag you to their stalls. It gets quite irritating and that from what the guide said, this is the way which they can earn commission. They are not the stallholders but by bringing the customers to the stall, they get half the profit earned by the deal. So well, that's the reason why they are doing it with all their might.This is where the stallholders would raise the price of their products more than half and wait for the customers to bargain.And most of it you can bargain more that 70% of the price they say as it is really obvious they are desperate for deals. Once you walk away they will pull you back and you can have that product of your own desired price.
eg:
miss sixty jeans: before after
rmb 280 rmb 100
nike air shoe: before after
rmb 240 rmb 100

That is the extent which we can bargain. Amazing right? My mom is the best at this kind of stuff does all the bargaining. Thanks mom! Ha((:

toilets
The toilets are horrible, espectially the one at qipu mall. It's without any doors and that the 10 over cubicles are connected by one drain, so your urine and stools will all land on one same drain. So you can imagine your neighbour's stool flowing over to your side. ARRGH. And while you are doing your business, the Shanghai girls will be looking at your buttock! My face was burning while I'm using the "toilet".And not one toilet that I went provides toilet paper so am I suppose to learn from samsoon, to replace toilet paper with socks? HAHA.

Shanghai women
In Singapore, Men had more dominion over their women from what I notice, wifes always listen to their husbands. However in Shanghai, women are much fiercer than men. It's exactly like a mouse under a tiger's rule.And this is really true from what we experienced at qipu mall. The salesperson are mostly lady and once you asked the price of a product, she will insist you on buying. If you try to reject, she will grab you tight on your wrist if not she will glare at you as if her eyeballs are dropping out. Or she will just shout "不要买还要试!".And sent you off with a look as if she's going to bash you up.Very few, or rather none that I went had the basic servicing attitude like Singapore. Horrible + terrible + vegetable!

Local delicacy
- hangzhou dongpo meat
-Jiaohua chicken
-wuxi spare ribs
( bought 3 packets of ready made wuxi ribs home(: )
-Nanjing salted duck( zhi's favourite)
-xiaolong bao
-MacDonald
( they don't have any sauce except tomato sauce, not even chili sauce)

Except that it's a bit rush and cold there, overall the trip was great and fruitful. I learnt a lot from our tour guide 小渔 of the things and history of the places we went. Expectially able to travel with Ah zhi( zhiying) is awesome. During the trip I got to know more of peiying and madalene. Also made a new friends qi rui who also loved beancurd and Ah zhu, who accompanied us for supper every night. HAHA. Anyway throughout the trip I really missed beancurd and bubble tea. The beancurd I ate at Shanghai was like porridge! Not a single way does it look like beancurd to me!Well well, that's shanghais beancurd.hahaha.

I enjoyed myself and I believe zhiying enjoyed herself too! We didn't have a chance for pillow fight! HAHA.

No comments: